Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Are Shields Worth It For Anyone?

Gog
Ortallus
I could see Reflex and Fort, but not will, imo, unless it has an enchantment.

I can see your logic, but by that logic, mundane T1 armor shouldn't be giving you 50 points of Will bonus either.
^This is Dak (Charlie George). RIP <Guurzak>
Edam
Guurzak
Shields are still awful; there's no reason to prefer a 1H weapon over a 2H anyway, and even if you do there's no reason to prefer a shield's secondaries over your weapon's native secondaries. Shields need inherent defenses/resists like armor has, as a bare minimum.

This is the crux of the matter …

1) shields provide no innate bonuses to defence or anything else
2) shield feats are generally inferior to the secondaries of the weapon they replace

You therefore get inferior attacks with no other bonus to compensate.

Overall shields are in a bad place.
Decius
I think that the shield attacks can be fixed. Does anyone have suggestions for what shield attacks could do that would make shields worthwhile?

1: Apply Dodging, Parrying, Shrug Off, and/or Physical attuned to self.
2: Apply some kind of (conditional?) effect to target; Knock Down, for example.
Ortallus
Decius
I think that the shield attacks can be fixed. Does anyone have suggestions for what shield attacks could do that would make shields worthwhile?

Yeah, this is sort of what I was thinking. Perhaps even making a new state called 'blocking' that worked similar to dodge and/or parry, and in addition to, but only available if you have a shield equipped, and as an activated feat.
My ban has now gone from 7 days to permanent with a chance to appeal after 6 months. Paizo has violated the ToS and EULA, which mention nothing about repercussions for actions on the forums resulting in loss of access to the game client. I have not done anything in violation of the rules which would warrant a ban from the game client.
Giorgio
@OP,

The answer to your threads question is still the same: Shields suck and are worthless.

There has been no feedback from the Devs (on this or the other shield thread)to our ideas/suggestions. We are just going to have to wait as they are busy on many other things. smile
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Doc
Yeah, this is sort of what I was thinking. Perhaps even making a new state called 'blocking' that worked similar to dodge and/or parry, and in addition to, but only available if you have a shield equipped, and as an activated feat.

I agree. Make a special utility that the shield provides which does a crap load of Buff-to-Self states, that are all defensively minded, and make the cool down something that allows frequent use but not unlimited. And maybe some kind of debuff that reduces attack ability (oblivious?) so that you basically make a trade off for defensiveness over damage output.

I think that would make the shield firmly a tanking option that would provide real utility to a defensively minded player.
Nihimon
Any Buffs applied by the Shield should probably end immediately if you change to a Weapon Set that doesn't include the same type of Shield.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Dazyk of Phaeros
Decius

Most of the Shield feats already include Knock Down, Knock Back, and Interrupt.

These are the things I would like to see for shields:

Add a Reflex bonus depending on type (ex: +1 Buckler/+2 Light/+4 Heavy) or depending on matched keywords
Increased the damage factor on all Shield Feats
Add an AOE attack
Increase range of Shield Charge to 20m

I think these simple changes would increase Shield usefulness by 100%
Dazyk Half-Elven, Elder of the Frozen Fingers, the shock- troops of Phaeros. If you are a fighter, cleric, or rogue, and enjoy battle, be it PVP or PVE, we are the company for you! We welcome role-players, casual gamers, and hardcore players alike.

Find your hidden strength, join the Frozen Fingers today!
Dazyk's PFO Resources Folder
Baron
One o the biggest drawbacks with the shields besides no defensive bonus has already been stated, but ill put it in another light. Shields have no area of effect, and adding a shield will effectively remove any area of effect from your 1hander… This will actually lower the survivability when fighting large groups regardless. I would like to see several changes for shields to work.

Firstly; a passive bonus which depends on keywords, like any armor feat.
Secondly; something which gives shield users the ability to slow/stun/aggro/ prevent groups to reach their friends.
And thirdly; some kind of area of effect… not necessarily a whirlwind effect where you hit everything around you but maybe a "plow" attack which would work like the lightning "line" or a cone effect. Now these things would make positional awareness top priority for a shielded character, which in turn add a new element that i feel didn´t exist before. Also, working out the tactics with that new element makes me drool, as i myself love the idea of being effective as long as i think of where i stand and how i use my position.

On the positional awareness subject, i would love having elevation playing a bigger role in advantage or disadvantage, like having a charge doing more damage downhill, or reducing speed uphill.

Time to sleep, i have to think more on this, because the use of shields have a huge potential when considering what they may be able to do with their immediate environment, making zone control and positional awareness more important then raw numbers.

*Edit - a last thought, having the shield "change" your 3 cheap attacks with your bladed weapon would work too. Oh, and 1handed spears please.
Self-styled Warden of the East, Protector of Baron´s Folly, Hero of the first skirmish.
Decius
Would it make sense to have an armor feat that looked for (some) keywords on the shield?

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post