Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Bows (and arrows?).

Yrme
I actually wonder if ammo will be a significant balancing factor. The ability of a combatant to attack targets within a large area is significant in studies of military effectiveness. A combatant can either have this ability by being very fast (cavalry) or by having a long-range ranged weapon (artillery). In real life such units are typically more costly in terms of outfitting, training, and upkeep. In PFO the cost of creating a ranged weapon is not significantly higher than creating a melee weapon; paying for ammo will be a small charge for being able to attack any target within 35m.

(Having said that, I'd note that the wand and short bow have a substantially smaller "Area of Engagement" than the staff and longbow. Since the AOEngagement is a square of the range, a 20m weapon has about 1/3 the engagement area compared to a 35m weapon. Are the attacks significantly better, faster, or some combination of the two?)
At some point, crowdforging suggestions seem to be like fan fiction. Some good, some bad, some repetitious and predictable. But maybe there are some gems out there.
tyrfing
I have more experience with Shortbow, which is also 20m (except for Far Shot, which makes up for the extra distance in various other ways).

I have noticed that going from Far Shot range, which is 35m, to melee is about 5 seconds of running. Since shooting roots the shooter for about 2 seconds, this means that getting out of range is not very difficult.
Sspitfire1
tyrfing
I have more experience with Shortbow, which is also 20m (except for Far Shot, which makes up for the extra distance in various other ways).

I have noticed that going from Far Shot range, which is 35m, to melee is about 5 seconds of running. Since shooting roots the shooter for about 2 seconds, this means that getting out of range is not very difficult.

Likewise, I have no problem evading other players or mobs who are coming at me in Melee- especially when I stack the target up with 100 stacks of Slow or pop Evasion at the right time. Rooting needs to stay; but it needs to be applied in a more judicious manner than what we currently have.

I'll add that carrying 100 arrows weighs 1 Encumbrance, so it is not a major tax on what we can carry into the field. The real limit will be what we can carry into combat and the costs of producing new arrows.
Brighthaven Leader
Personally, I think that SOME attacks should be rooted. Some shouldn't be rooted.

Arrows should weigh more, I would say 1 Encumbrance per 20 at the very least, arrows weigh more than some realize.

I think some of the bigger attacks should eat up a bit more stamina too.
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post