Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Smart scripts for mobs

Bormun
Mobs are going to exist, if only as a resource / speed-bump / side entertainment.
I get that PvP is, and indeed has to be, the main challenge.
But I would like the PvE to be as challenging as possible, ideally in a way that will train skills that will be common to PvP. One of the big problems for new players is the transition from PvE to PvP, so if we can make the mobs smart enough, then the game will benefit.

So, I would like it if:
(1) The code for Mob AI was distinct and modular, so that different mobs could have their own behaviour.
(2) From the above, ensure it is possible to upgrade the Mob AI over time.
(3) In the same way that the community can design dungeons for Neverwinter, or optimise fleets for Traveller, create a process for the community to design Mob AIs for your consideration.
In particular, there is a famous case of an early AI developer deciding to challenge himself by creating an AI-assistant to optimise Traveler fleet design. He promptly won the next two annual Traveller fleet commander competitions, and was then banned from participating any more.
The point being: there are a lot of smart people out there who are willing to create content for you/us in the form of smarter Mob AI. So let's use them.
Azure_Zero
I agree smarter upgradable Mobs would be a Boon,
but given the limited time, money, and resources, I can see this being put off until a good piece after OE.

I also think some Escalation, or Normal, AI Mobs should be moving around patrolling an area, so it shakes things up some.
Bormun
Azure_Zero
I agree smarter upgradable Mobs would be a Boon,
but given the limited time, money, and resources, I cna see this being put off until a good piece after OE.

I also think some Escalation, or Normal, AI Mobs should be moving around patroling an area, so it shakes things up some.

On one hand, yes,
but having done a lot of software development in my time, it is much easier to add features if your initial architecture has been with the idea already in mind.
For now, all I ask is that the architecture be designed as modules, to enable the AI to be easily changed at a later date.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Bormun
For now, all I ask is that the architecture be designed as modules, to enable the AI to be easily changed at a later date.

I would be surprised if any programming work is put into mobs at the moment. Adjustments to databases like drop frequency and content, sure, but the mobs are "functional" at the moment, and must take a lower priority than things that are required to get the system up to EE.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Giorgio
This has been mentioned many times before, basically dumb mobs = resource nodes that fight back. Better AI later, when and how much better to be crowdforged.
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Valkenr
A dungeon system is in the plan, that is probably where you will see more challenging AI. But that's not coming until late EE, or possibly after OE.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post