These are the Terms of Service and the End User License Agreement for Pathfinder Online. You will be required to accept both before playing, and you'll accept them as you click through the installation process.
Terms of Service
If you are confused about what constitutes "being a Jerk", we advise you to err on the side of caution. Harassment of other players or Goblinworks employees or agents will not be tolerated.
If you find some condition, combination of actions, location, or feature that is broken or provides you an advantage you should not have due to a bug, don't do that thing. Report it.
It is not ok to create a character name or to send chat messages that imply or attempt to create the impression that the character or the communication is a system message, an NPC, or a Goblinworks staff account. Do not send chat messages that could be misconstrued as updates or notifications from the game.
Don't attempt to modify the game client. Don't attempt to connect to the game servers with anything other than an unmodified game client. Don't attempt to intercept packets moving between the client and the server or vice versa. Don't decompile the client. Don't attempt to gain unauthorized access to the game servers, goblinworks.com or any affiliated sites or services.
If you are told by a member of the Goblinworks staff, or a delegated agent acting with Goblinworks authority to do something, or not do something, follow those instructions promptly and to the best of your ability. This includes time-outs, suspensions and bans.
Do not use the name of any historical person, any modern religious figure from any major world religion, any modern political, military, or entertainment figure, the name of any character in any fictional work, or the name of any named NPC in any work published by Paizo or its licensees.
Do not use a name that would be likely to offend or harass other players.
Do not use a name that implies you are a member of the Goblinworks staff, or the Paizo staff, or have any official position with the game's operations (i.e. don't call yourself a "Gamemaster" or "GM").
Do not use a name that could be confused with a game mechanic (i.e. you can't name yourself "Critical Hit").
Any name that you choose for your character, company or settlement is provisional. At Goblinworks' sole discretion we may require you to change that name and we may change the name ourselves if we deem it necessary.
Pathfinder Online is appropriate for players aged 13 and older. If you are not 13 or older you cannot access the game or use goblinworks.com.
When creating character names, company names, settlement names or typing in chat channels that are not "opt-in" (such as General or Local), or when communicating on the goblinworks.com forums do not submit any material that the general public would classify as "adult content," offensive, or inappropriate for minors.
Communicating in-game with other Users and Goblinworks representatives, whether by text, voice or any other method, is an integral part of Pathfinder Online and is referred to here as "Chat." When engaging in Chat, you may not:
Transmit or post any content or language which, in the sole and absolute discretion of Goblinworks, is deemed to be offensive, including without limitation content or language that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, hateful, sexually explicit, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable, nor may you use a misspelling or an alternative spelling to circumvent the content and language restrictions listed above.
In addition you agree you will not harass, threaten, stalk, embarrass or cause distress, unwanted attention or discomfort to any user of Pathfinder Online.
Replacement Policies for Items
Unless Goblinworks is able to determine in its sole opinion that an item was lost due to a malfunction or bug in the game (and that determination will be made on the basis of our ability to reproduce the loss in a test environment, or on the basis of having knowledge of a known flaw with the system that would relate to the loss of the item), Goblinworks will not replace lost items. This includes (but is not limited to) items purchased from the Goblinworks Store, or received as a part of a Reward package from the Kickstarter campaign, or any other source.
It is the user's responsibility to protect their items from loss. It is possible to lose items by placing them in vaults, or by carrying them in inventory and suffering a character death, or by scheduling a character for deletion, etc. If you lose an item through accident, misadventure, error, or due to unknown and unreproducible causes, you will not be remimbursed for the loss of that item.
Goblinworks will revise these Terms of Service periodically. You agree to be bound to the changes to those Terms of Service by continuing to access Pathfinder Online or goblinworks.com. Goblinworks will place a notice about changes to the Terms of Service to its official support forums (which are now located on paizo.com but will be migrated to goblinworks.com eventually).
Accept the Terms of Service.
Clicking the link to the next step of the installation process constitutes your acceptance and agreement of these terms. If you do not accept these terms, do not click the link to continue and immediately contact firstname.lastname@example.org to communicate your refusal of the Terms of Service.
End User License Agreement
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT: This End-User License Agreement ("EULA") is a legal agreement between (a) you (either an individual or a single entity) and (b) Goblinworks, Inc. ("Goblinworks") that governs your use of any Software Product, installed on or made available by Goblinworks.
Goblinworks: Means the officers, directors, employees, and agents of Goblinworks, Inc., as well as the Goblinworks legal entity itself and its heirs and assigns.
Paizo: Means the officers, directors, employees, and agents of Paizo, Inc., as well as the Paizo legal entity itself and its heirs and assigns.
You: The person who is accepting this End User License Agreement.
EULA: This End User License Agreement.
Game Client Software: The collection of computer files and related digital objects known collectively as "the Client" or "the Game software".
User Account: A record (or records) maintained by Goblinworks recording Your status as a user, your access privileges, a record of disciplinary actions taken with regard to You, financial transactions You have engaged in with Goblinworks, and other such information about You as Goblinworks deems necessary to retain.
Player: Any person using the Game Client Software.
Pathfinder Intellectual Property: The collection of copyright, trademark, patent and other rights owned by Paizo, Inc. (or its heirs or assigns) that relate to the Pathfinder roleplaying game or any derivative works thereof including the World of Golarion.
World of Golarion: The collection of characters, locations, items, monsters, storylines, magical items, spells, gods, and history embodied in but not exclusive to the various works published by Paizo, Inc. and its licensors bearing the Pathfinder copyright and trademark notices as they relate to the fictional world of Golarion depicted in those products.
Pathfinder Online: A computer system consisting of one or more game clients and one or more game servers which allow players to access the virtual world of Pathfinder Online.
By accepting this EULA, you agree to be bound by its terms and conditions. You agree that you are accepting this EULA and have received consideration in the form of access to the Pathfinder Online game.
The terms of this EULA are binding on you so long as you retain possession of the Game Client Software and have a User Account with Goblinworks.
- GRANT OF LICENSE. The Game Client Software includes two types of computer software (1) software that is owned or licensed by Goblinworks (and may include associated media, and "online" or electronic documentation) (collectively the "Game Client Software") and (2) other software provided by third parties and used with the Game Client Software ("Third Party Software"). Goblinworks grants you the following non-exclusive rights provided you agree to and comply with all terms and conditions of this EULA:
- Use. You may use the Game Client Software on your computer. You do not have the right to distribute the Game Client Software. You agree to only use the Game Client Software as expressly permitted herein and while complying with the Terms of Service.
- Reservation of Rights. The Game Client Software is licensed, not sold, to you by Goblinworks. Goblinworks and its licensors and suppliers own all right, title and interest in and to the Game Client Software and reserve all rights not expressly granted to you in this EULA. You agree to refrain from any action that would diminish such rights or would call them into question. The copyright to characters, groups, and locations created by you in Pathfinder Online as that copyright relates to Pathfinder Online or the World of Golarion will be owned by Paizo, Inc. or its heirs or assigns in perpetuity. You agree to undertake whatever reasonable actions are required by Paizo to perfect these rights, at Paizo's sole expense.
- Third Party Software. Notwithstanding the terms and conditions of this EULA, all or any portion of the Game Client Software which constitutes Third Party Software, is licensed to you subject to the terms and conditions of the software license agreement accompanying such Third Party Software whether in the form of a discrete agreement, shrink wrap license or electronic license terms accepted at time of download. Use of the Third Party Software by you shall be governed entirely by the terms and conditions of such license.
- UPGRADES. To use Game Client Software identified by Goblinworks as an upgrade, you must first be licensed for the original Game Client Software identified by Goblinworks as eligible for the upgrade. After upgrading, you may no longer use the original Game Client Software that formed the basis for your upgrade eligibility and the upgraded software shall be deemed the "Game Client Software".
- ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE. This EULA applies to updates or supplements to the original Game Client Software provided by Goblinworks unless Goblinworks provides other terms along with the update or supplement. In case of a conflict between such terms, the other terms will prevail.
- Third Party. Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving the transferred product must agree to all the EULA terms. Upon transfer of the Game Client Software, your license is automatically terminated and you are no longer permitted to use the Game Client Software.
- Restrictions. You may not rent, lease or lend the Game Client Software or use the Game Client Software for commercial timesharing or bureau use. You may not sublicense, assign or transfer the license or Game Client Software except as expressly provided in this EULA.
- PROPRIETARY RIGHTS. All intellectual property rights in the Game Client Software and user documentation are owned by Goblinworks or its licensors or suppliers and are protected by law, including but not limited to copyright, trade secret, and trademark law, as well as other applicable laws and international treaty provisions. The structure, organization and code of the Game Client Software are the valuable trade secrets and confidential information of Goblinworks and its suppliers. You shall not remove any product identification, copyright notices, trademark notices or proprietary restrictions from the Game Client Software.
- LIMITATION ON REVERSE ENGINEERING. Except to the extent that such restriction is not permitted under applicable law, you are not permitted (and you agree not to) reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or create derivative works of or modify the Game Client Software. Nothing contained herein shall be construed, expressly or implicitly, as transferring any right, license or title to you other than those explicitly granted under this EULA. Goblinworks reserves all rights in its intellectual property rights not expressly agreed to herein. Unauthorized copying of the Game Client Software or failure to comply with the restrictions in this EULA (or other breach of the license herein) will result in automatic termination of this Agreement and you agree that it will constitute immediate, irreparable harm to Goblinworks for which monetary damages would be an inadequate remedy, and that injunctive relief will be an appropriate remedy for such breach.
- TERM. This EULA is effective unless terminated or rejected. This EULA will also terminate immediately and without additional notice in the event you breach this EULA and/or fail to comply with any term or condition of this EULA.
- CONSENT TO USE OF DATA. You agree that Goblinworks and its affiliates or suppliers may collect and use statistics on your use of the Game Client Software related to the Pathfinder Online. You agree that Goblinworks may transfer that information to 3rd parties at Goblinworks' sole discretion.
- DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES.
- YOU AGREE THAT THE USE OF THE GAME CLIENT SOFTWARE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK AS TO SATISFACTORY QUALITY PERFORMANCE, ACCURACY AND EFFORT. Use of the Game Client Software may adversely affect the operation of other software and devices. To the maximum extent permitted under applicable law, the Game Client Software is offered on an "AS-IS" basis and Goblinworks does NOT warrant that the functions contained in the Game Client Software will meet your requirements or that the operation of the Game Client Software will be uninterrupted or error free or that such errors will be corrected. Computer software is inherently subject to bugs and potential incompatibility with other computer software and hardware. You should not use the Game Client Software for any applications in which failure could cause any significant damage or injury to persons or tangible or intangible property.
- EXCEPT AS MAY BE SET OUT IN A SPECIFIC WARRANTY ACCOMPANYING THE GAME CLIENT SOFTWARE, TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, GOBLINWORKS AND ITS SUPPLIERS PROVIDE THE GAME CLIENT SOFTWARE AND THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE "AS IS" AND WITH ALL FAULTS AND WITHOUT ANY OTHER WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, AND HEREBY DISCLAIM ALL OTHER WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS, EITHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, WARRANTIES OF TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES, DUTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND OF LACK OF VIRUSES ALL WITH REGARD TO THE GAME CLIENT SOFTWARE AND THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE. NO ORAL OR WRITTEN INFORMATION OR ADVICE GIVEN BY GOBLINWORKS OR A GOBLINWORKS AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE SHALL CREATE A WARRANTY. Some states/jurisdictions do not allow exclusion of implied warranties or limitations on the duration of implied warranties, so the above disclaimer may not apply to you in its entirety. To the extent applicable law requires Goblinworks to provide warranties, you agree that the scope and duration of such warranty shall be to the minimum extent permitted under such applicable law.
- IN NO EVENT DOES GOBLINWORKS PROVIDE ANY WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATIONS WITH RESPECT TO ANY THIRD PARTY HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE WITH WHICH THE GAME CLIENT SOFTWARE IS DESIGNED TO BE USED, AND GOBLINWORKS DISCLAIMS ALL LIABILITY WITH RESPECT TO ANY FAILURES THEREOF.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. Notwithstanding any damages that you might incur, the entire liability of Goblinworks and any of its suppliers under any provision of this EULA and your exclusive remedy for all of the foregoing shall be limited to the amount actually paid by you for the Game Client Software, or $30, whichever is less. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL GOBLINWORKS OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, FOR LOSS OF DATA OR OTHER INFORMATION, FOR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, FOR PERSONAL INJURY, FOR LOSS OF PRIVACY ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY RELATED TO THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE GAME CLIENT SOFTWARE, THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE AND/OR THIRD PARTY HARDWARE USED WITH THE GAME CLIENT SOFTWARE, OR OTHERWISE IN CONNECTION WITH ANY PROVISION OF THIS EULA), EVEN IF GOBLINWORKS OR ANY SUPPLIER HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES AND EVEN IF THE REMEDY FAILS OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE. Some states/jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.
- INDEMNITY. You agree to indemnify and hold Goblinworks and its officers, directors, employees and licensors harmless from any claim or demand (including but not limited to reasonable legal fees) made by a third party due to or arising out of or related to your violation of the terms and conditions of this Agreement, your violation of any laws, regulations or third party rights or your negligent act, omission or willful misconduct.
- U.S. GOVERNMENT CUSTOMERS. The Software Product is a "Commercial Item" as that term is defined in 48 C.F.R. 12.212 or 48 C.F.R. 227.7202, as applicable. Consistent with 48 C.F.R. 12.212 or 48 C.F.R. 227.7202, as applicable, Commercial Computer Software and Commercial Computer Software Documentation are licensed to the U.S. Government users (i) only as Commercial Items and (2) only with those rights granted to other users under this EULA. Unpublished rights are reserved under the copyrights of the United States.
- COMPLIANCE WITH LAWS. You shall comply with all laws and regulations of the United States and other countries ("Export Laws") to ensure that the Software Product is not (1) exported, directly or indirectly, in violation of Export Laws, or (2) used for any purpose prohibited by Export Laws, including, without limitation, nuclear, chemical, or biological weapons proliferation. You further agree that you will not use the Software Product for any purpose prohibited under applicable law.
- APPLICABLE LAW. This EULA is governed by the laws of the State of Washington exclusive of conflict of law provisions and you attorn to the jurisdiction of the courts of the State of Washington with respect to any proceedings arising from this EULA. The parties hereby agree that this Agreement is not governed by the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods.
BY CLICKING "I AGREE", OR BY TAKING ANY STEP TO INSTALL OR USE THE GAME CLIENT SOFTWARE, YOU (1) REPRESENT THAT YOU ARE OF THE LEGAL AGE OF MAJORITY IN YOUR STATE, PROVINCE, OR JURISDICTION OF RESIDENCE AND, IF APPLICABLE, YOU ARE DULY AUTHORIZED BY YOUR EMPLOYER TO ENTER INTO THIS CONTRACT AND (2) YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS EULA. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THE EULA TERMS, DO NOT USE THE SOFTWARE PRODUCT.